Fred is incredibly knowledgable about Ugandan and Rwandan cultures and traditions so the long drive was also a good opportunity to learn lots of interesting facts about the two countries. The vehicle (Land cruiser 4X4) is super comfortable and well sturdy which makes a big difference on “Africa’s massage roads” ie unpaved, full of holes and with landslides during the rainy season. Overall I’ve had a great experience with Bamboo Ecotours and would certainly recommend them to anyone interested in the gorilla trek.
2-Day Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Budget Safari
A Full Day of Mountain Gorilla Tracking
Learn About & Visit Local Communities
Explore the Country of Thousand Hills
Visit the kingdom of mountain gorillas! This spectacular national park is the proud home of roughly half the world’s gorilla population, proving why gorilla safaris in Rwanda are a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Learn about and see these rock stars of the forest in their natural habitat, explore the traditions and culture of the local people. This trip is the perfect addition to Rwanda and Uganda safaris.
Glimpse these rare creatures in the wild and observe their human-like interactions up close
Learn the meaning of adventure on this Uganda trekking tour through the rainforest with experienced local guides
Explore the green expanse of ancient rainforest and its abundance of wildlife
Explore Kigali city and visit the Kigali and the Rwanda culture
Learn about the local community with visits to their villages and the Kigali Genocide Memorial and Museum
Make the most of your time with short (but scenic) connections from Kigali to Volcanoes National Park
Click the Tabs to Find out More
Adults (15-80): $2,574
Please inquire for the midrange accommodation price, this is our budget accommodation tour
2 persons or more: $2,275 per person
3 persons or more: $2,138 per person
4 persons or more: $2,090 per person
Anytime between 7:00 am to 2:00 pm (Kigali, Rwanda timezone)
We offer pick-up from the following places for this experience:
- Kigali International Airport (on day 1), Rwanda
- Your guesthouse in downtown Kigali, Rwanda
- Please inquire for information on a custom pick up
Monday to Sunday, year-round
Moderate – uphill trekking
1 to 4 persons
- Meals: 1 x breakfast, 1 x dinner, 2 x lunches
- Accommodation for one night in a budget lodge
- One gorilla trekking permit per person (value of $1,500 USD)
- Transport in a 4×4 vehicle and fuel
- Admission to Volcanoes National Park
- Optional activities (see tab 4)
- Visas and other costs of personal nature
- Porter fees, gratuities, travel insurance, and medical expenses
- Any other costs not listed in the itinerary
- Admission to Gorilla Guardian’s Village – $20 USD
What to Bring
- Hiking boots
- Garden gloves
- Rain jacket or poncho
- Long-sleeved shirt/blouse
- Cameras and extra batteries
- Hat/cap and sunglasses
- Pair of binoculars
- Flashlight (torch)
- Mosquito repellent
- Other items to include: zoom lens for wildlife shots and energy bars/bites
- Age restriction: 15-80 years old
- A valid passport is required on the day of travel
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible
- We advise against people with heart problems or other serious medical conditions participating on this tour
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
Good to Know
We recommend reserving gorilla trekking permits way in advance.
What You’ll Do
We will pick you up at Kigali Airport or downtown Kigali and drive you to Volcanoes National Park. The scenic drive to northern Rwanda will go through Rwanda’s northwestern town of Ruhengeri (also known as Musanze) and finally arrive at Volcanoes National Park. If time allows and you are interested, visit the Kigali Genocide Museum or on a complimentary Kigali city tour before driving to Musanze/Ruhengeri.
Meal plan: Dinner
Today is the main event, our Rwanda gorilla trek! You will embark on a full-day adventure to track the mountain gorillas in Volcanoes National Park. This national park is home to a large population of mountain gorillas, making it THE destination for tracking. The trek will commence with a short briefing on gorilla trekking rules to ensure the safety of guests and the protection of these animals in their natural habitat. You will then start the trek into the impenetrable forest to encounter the gentle giants of Volcanoes National Park. This is a true adventure and part of the excitement is finding the gorillas. Follow the guides as they make paths through the thick vegetation until the special moment that you encounter these majestic creatures. It is a truly unique experience and will surely be one of the standout moments of your trip. After the gorilla trek, head back downhill and return to Kigali over a drive for about 2hrs.
Meal plan: Breakfast, lunch
Lodges & Accommodation
We will choose from one of these lodges according to availability
- Golden Monkey Trekking in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park – $100 USD
- The Batwa Trail Cultural Tour inside Mgahinga Gorilla National Park – $80 USD
- Visit the Batwa Community in the Village – $30 USD
- Canoe Trekking at Lake Mutanda – $30 USD
- Coffee-Making Experience – $30 USD
- Mabungo Community Village Tour in Kisoro – $30 USD
See our Local Experiences(opens in a new tab) page for more information on each activity.
See What Our Previous Guests Have Said...
The first trip was to Bwindi to see the mountain gorillas. Jackson was the driver for this and he was fantastic. He was extremely knowledgeable about the area and was a joy to talk to during the journey and I highly recommend him. Edison and Bamboo Ecotours took care of the gorilla permit and everything was completely ready upon my arrival to Bwindi.
The trip organised by Bamboo Ecotours was seamless, from the correspondence with Edison before our trip to our lovely driver, Fred, during the visit. Fred was always friendly, punctual and ready to help us with any request. The gorillas themselves are magnificent and we were extremely happy with the accommodation options Edison suggested. It was an all-round unforgettable weekend!