Popular day tours and top things to do around Kisoro
Kisoro district in southwestern Uganda is on the rise as a preferred destination for both domestic and international tourists. Kisoro has so much to offer visitors with gorilla trekking at Bwindi National Park as the main attraction. Other top day tours to do in Kisoro include coffee making tours and canoe trekking at Lake Mutanda.
Why Visit Kisoro District, southwestern Uganda
Kisoro is a popular tourist destination because of its unbeatable location at the foothills of the Virunga Volcanoes. The undulating terrain and being home to the endangered mountain gorillas makes Kisoro the perfect choice for many adventurous travelers. National Geographic identified the Virunga Volcanoes among the best places to visit in 2012. Similarly, the nearby Bwindi National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The African Bird Club selected Bwindi National Park as Africa’s number one birding site. TripAdvisor chose Bwindi as the best tourism destination because the park is home to more than half of the world’s endangered mountain gorillas.
The top nature-based day tours in Kisoro District
- Gorilla trekking in Bwindi Forest National Park and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- Nature walks in Bwindi National Park in Kisoro Uganda
- Gorge Walk, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- Golden Monkey trekking in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- Bird watching in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- Bird watching in Echuya Forest Reserve
- Hiking the Virunga Volcanoes: Mount Sabyinyo, Mount Gahinga, and Mount Muhavura in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- Canoe trekking at Lake Mutanda in Kisoro Uganda
- Coffee tours and coffee making experience in the villages surrounding Lake Mutanda, which can be done after gorilla trekking at Bwindi National Park
- Mabungo cultural tour in the communities close to Kisoro tow
Kisoro Market Walking Tour
The Kisoro Market Walking Tour is a recommended activity during a gorilla trekking trip to Bwindi National Park in Uganda. The Kisoro market tour will give you a glimpse into how local commerce is done in an upcountry market centre. The market days in Kisoro town are typically Mondays and Thursdays.
The most popular item purchased in the Kisoro market by tourists is the traditional Africa Wax Print Fabric, also known as Kitenge. The ‘Kitenge’ fabric can easily be turned into skirts, shirts, or decoration cloth by the local tailors. The Kisoro market also has other merchandise on sale, including clothes, food items, and fruits. You could end the 2hrs experience with a food tour at a local restaurant in Kisoro town.
Starting point: Kisoro town